Sunday, November 1, 2009

As Real as Mary Lou Lord

maryloulord-real-sm So while searching for cassettes at awesome record stores in Boston earlier this year Helen & I came across this crazy find in a little shop called In Your Ear which had an interesting selection or used vinyl, cds, cassettes and whatever else. I remember we found some awesome stuff like Heatmiser, Wallflowers (unsure if this is was awesome), and of course the find on our left Mary Lou Lord’s extremely hard to find first album only ever released on cassette “Real”. Today I felt like seeing if the soundcard on my computer was gonna be friendly and let me easily transfer it to my iTunes and SUCCESS!

This album is really a great collection of songs and the only place I’ve ever seen her cover a nirvana song. Like most of Lord’s releases this contains a few originals like “Not Necessarily the Bubonic Plague” & “Memories of You” but its also riddled with covers (and one song that might’ve been written for her???? – “Walkin’ On Air”) a good amount of these covers have ended up on her live album or compilations but there is also a fair share that are exclusive. So enjoy this lil’ blast down memory lane on multiple levels.

Mary Lou Lord “Real” cassette

  1. Andalucia (john cale)
  2. Smells LIke Teen Spirit (nirvana)
  3. Thirteen (big star)
  4. Not Necessarily The Bubonic Plague
  5. St. Swithens Day (billy bragg)
  6. Eternal Circle (bob dylan)
  7. Memories of You
  8. Can You Fool (allman brothers band)
  9. Please Be With Me (scott boyer)
  10. Only Business (rain parade)
  11. Walkin’ On Air (schulman)
  12. That’s The Way (led zeppelin)
  13. London Bridges

4 comments:

  1. Great find! That's for the heads up. Just downloaded and am listening to now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for this! I had bought the second album on KRS when I was younger and I just loved her voice, I can't wait to hear her sing my favorite Chris Bell song!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Mary Lou gave me this tape back in 92/93 when we were both playing in the subway. My copy is badly worn out and I've been missing it. Any chance of you posting this in lossless?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhhhhhhh!! i have been looking for this FOREVER!! thanks so much for posting!!

    ReplyDelete